Dadivank is an ancient religious and cultural center established in the 1st century on the relicts of St.Dadi who was martyred while preaching Christianity in Artsakh. Starting from the 5th century Dadivank is referenced as episcopacy, other premises of the complex are considered to be of the 9-13th century. The complex includes two chapels, four churches, monk cells, bookstore and oth
Dadi was one of the 70 followers of apostle Thaddeus who came to preach Christianity in Artsakh. Dadi was killed in Verin Khachen village in Artsakh and later a sanctuary was built on his tomb. The relicts of St. Dadi were found in July 2007 when excavations were carried out in this area.
Dadivank was also named Khutavank (i.e. "Monastery on the hill" in Armenian
) as it was built on a hillock (khut in Armenian).
The main church of the monastery is Kathoghike which was built in 1214 by queen Arzu Khatun. She ordered to build the church in memory of her husband and two sons. The most remarkable is the sculpture above the church entrance.
Kathoghike was decorated with different murals. In one of the murals Jesus Christ gives Bible to David
Wonderworker. According to historical sources Jesus Christ emerged to David Tsaretsi and said “Transform the world and cure people”. Later on he started to heal sick with mineral water. Arzu Khatun depicted this vision on the wall of the church. Probably the mural belongs to the 2nd quarter of the 12th century when Arzu Khatun was still alive. Arzu Khatun is referenced as the author o
f the most valuable murals.
The harmonious bell tower was built in the 13th century and it has two very valuable cross-stones inside. The cross-stones were placed here by father Atanas in 1283. According to the records the design for the cross-stones' ornaments was taken from queen Arzu Khatun's handmade knitting.
Adjacent to Katoghike there are a church with a vaulted gavit and
a rectangular stage, single nave church, and a 13th century gavit; little farther stands another small church. The monastery has a zhamatun, Grigor's dining hall, a guest hall, library and other facilities. Hasan Jalal's palace is also located within the church area. A winepress and a cellar are on its ground floor.
One of the walls of Dadivank is famous for being miraculous. Acco
rding to the tale the wall is very powerful. It can hold on its surface all the small stones that people fix on it. When somebody puts a stone, being full of faith, the wall holds the stone and wishes comes true. Everyone who visits Dadivank also pays a visit to the miraculous wall.
Dadivank suffered a lot during various invasions. In the 7th century during Arab raids many treasur
es were robbed from the church; in the 12th century Seljuk Turks destroyed the church. During that period the church served as a castle.
Armenian philosopher, legislator, fabulist, and scholar Mkhitar Gosh lived in Dadivank in the 12th century. While staying here Gosh was working on his famous book of law «Datastanagirk».
After the establishment of the Soviet Union many territo
ries were given to Azerbaijan. A village was established in the area of the church and people started to live in the churches and premises of the monastery. They greatly damaged the murals of Katoghike.
Dadivank was liberated on March 31st, 1993. In 1994 the monastery was consecrated and renovation began in 1999.